Kitchen Remodel Tips
They say the heart of every home is the kitchen and it is so true. From the physical location of it, usually in the center of the home, to the fact that it’s where most family members end up spending their closest time together. Eating, drinking, preparing food. Having those late-night discussions pondering ridiculous topics and those mutually agreed upon silent mornings sipping your favorite coffee before you part ways for the day.
There are few things you can do to your home that are as exciting as a full kitchen remodel. There’s something about that first time you walk into your brand new kitchen that just feels so incredibly good. Not to mention it is by far the best way to add value to your home.
That being said, a kitchen remodel can be a very daunting and overwhelming project. But it doesn’t have to be! We are going to break down the keys to a successful kitchen remodel with our kitchen remodel tips.
FastBath's Top 6 Kitchen Remodel Tips:
Kitchen Remodel Tip #1:
Go modern but not too modern.
Style is important, and no doubt you want to add your own personal flare to your kitchen remodel. And that’s great! You should have a piece of yourself in your kitchen, given you will most likely be spending a lot of time there. But if resale value is on your mind at all, it would be wise to temper making any design choices that are a little too funky. You want something modern but not too modern. Interesting but not too interesting, like when you try food someone made that isn’t good and they ask you how it is and all you can come up with is… “it’s interesting!”
Finding the right balance between a space that is wildly and uniquely your own but still functional and appealing to a potential buyer isn’t easy. But the design team at FastBath is able to walk that tightrope with you to help make wise design choices that still take your breath away every time you walk into your new kitchen. Reach out to see if we can help you in some way.
Kitchen Remodel Tip #2:
Choose reliable appliances.
When you decided to remodel your kitchen it may have started with the hatred of a certain appliance. We’ve seen that many times. Your ratty old refrigerator that either melts or freezes everything is the straw the breaks the camel’s back. One thing leads to another and you’re remodeling your entire kitchen! The appliances you choose should be high quality, include a good warranty and should be one of the first things you decide on. Much of the kitchen layout and design will require knowing the dimensions of integrated appliances, so deciding on these early is wise. Especially since everything in your kitchen will be new, now is a great time to get appliances that will last and stay relevant.
Also, try to avoid shopping at department stores like Home Depot and Lowes. They often have the worst stock levels and prices. Try shopping at outlets like Basco or DeWhitt instead. Or let FastBath do all the heavy lifting for you.
Make sure your remodelers know what you are getting and that they have the specs from the manufacturer as soon as possible!
Kitchen Remodel Tip #3:
Install quality countertops.
Countertops come in a wide variety of prices and styles. Keep in mind that changing out just the countertops later on can be quite an expensive and messy project so if you are committing to a remodel, now is the time to install exactly what you want. And there are some countertops that will literally last a lifetime!
Here is a list of recommended countertops:
- Quartz Countertops
- Granite Countertops
- Marble Countertops
- Dekton Countertops
- Natural Stone Countertops
- Laminate Countertops
- Butcher Block Countertops
- Concrete Countertops
And here’s a link to a great article explaining all the different types in depth.
Kitchen Remodel Tip #4:
Get the right fixtures.
Now here comes the fun part. Shopping for and selecting kitchen faucets and hardware can be super fun but also a little overwhelming. You will find endless choices, and it can be a bit scary. How can you be sure that your selections will help add value to your home while adding functionality to your new kitchen? This isn’t such an easy kitchen remodel tip, as there are a lot of personal opinions involved. But for the basics:
- It helps if your finishes match throughout your fixtures.
- Make sure to install hardware in the correct place on cabinets depending on their shape and profile.
- Make sure your styling is consistent with the rest of the home or at least the rest of the kitchen. For instance, don’t get a super modern drawer pull, a contemporary faucet, and a vintage cabinet handle.
- Get fixtures right for your family. If you have little ones around, a sharp-edged handle that juts out from the cabinet may become a danger.
Here is a nice article we wrote in regards to different types of kitchen faucets.
Kitchen Remodel Tip #5:
Invest in good lighting.
Ahhh yes, light! What’s the point of investing in the kitchen of your dreams if you can’t see it!? We recommend installing plenty of can lights in the ceiling with dimmer switches installed. Then, have one or two featured lights over the island and or sink area that really add some personality to the kitchen. Your kitchen design should be fairly minimal, so view these light fixtures as a centerpiece to draw some positive attention. Unlike countertops, light fixtures are generally much easier to update later on, so don’t feel like you have to commit to your fixtures forever. For some inspo, please take a look at Ove’s modern and cool lighting options.
Kitchen Remodel Tip #6:
Hire the best kitchen remodelers.
You’ve decided you want to remodel your kitchen. You’ve threatened to do it yourself but your spouse and or friends have talked you out of it. Now you have the frightening task of trusting someone to come in and handle the incredibly personal process of remodeling the heart of your home, your kitchen. Here are a few things to keep in mind when hiring kitchen remodelers in Portland, OR:
- Make sure they have a good rep. Contact some of their past clients to make sure they had a great experience. If the company won’t share any referrals, run for the hills!
- Confirm they are clean. If a remodel is done improperly, it can cause serious damage to the entire home. Dust, especially tile and concrete dust, can legitimately ruin appliances, furniture and flooring. Make sure when the remodelers show up, that they spend at least a few hours installing floor protection and dust barriers. And don’t forget to make sure outside areas like driveways and grass are being protected as well. Especially if they are cutting tile out there.
- If a change order comes up (they discover some new work that wasn’t included in the estimate) Make sure they thoroughly explain and show you what they found. If it doesn’t make sense to you, ask more questions. Make sure you understand before you agree on a new price.
- This often goes forgotten but inquire about workers smoking. if you don’t want your home to wreak of cigarette smoke, you may need to request that workers do not smoke in or around your home. Even if they don’t smoke at your home, their clothing may still bring the smell into your home. Fun fact, At FastBath, our installers don’t smoke or partake in any illegal drugs or behavior. So you never have to worry about this with us.
Looking to remodel your kitchen?
Let’s start a conversation.